Dispute Resolution and Dispute Consulting
Schmitz & Partner specializes in conducting and counselling litigation, arbitration and out-of-court dispute resolution.
We comprehensively advise national and international clients from the sectors of industry and trade, as well as credit institutes, in complex civil law disputes. We also represent managers and other executive parties, institutional investors and high net-worth individuals.
Our work includes the following:
Strategic advice/dispute consulting
We develop a comprehensive and – if necessary – transnational conflict strategy when faced with impending disputes. We will investigate the facts of the case, assess the prospects and risks of taking legal action, propose alternatives and develop a detailed risk and cost analysis. Together with our clients we develop and implement feasible solutions.
Support and assistance of clients in disputes in foreign jurisdictions
We assist in international disputes set in foreign jurisdictions that touch upon questions of German law.
Litigation before German courts
We represent our German and international clients before German courts either as claimants or defendants.
National and international arbitration
As counsel or as arbitrator (in particular DIS, ICC, Ad hoc).
Out-of-court dispute resolution
Together with experienced and highly regarded consultants we develop interdisciplinary procedures (“Common Ground Dispute Resolution”) for out-of-court dispute resolution. This may include proposing an economic solution after having analyzed the conflict, as well as offering support in implementing solutions.
Out-of-court conflict evaluation
Assessment and evaluation of conflicts and asserted claims (for insurers, often as a second opinion).
Our range of services further includes issuing second opinions with respect to the prospects of success in disputes, acting as experts on German law and advising on the recognition and enforcement of foreign judgments and arbitration awards.
We always consider aspects of criminal law during our conflict counselling. We are very familiar with the overlapping of civil law and criminal law matters. We therefore frequently collaborate with leading criminal lawyers.
Recent examples from our practice
- Representing one of the world’s leading telecommunications companies as defense counsel in a prospectus liability litigation.
- Acting as defense counsel for an international bank against investor claims.
- Representing a shareholder of a renowned German publishing company in a shareholders’ dispute.
- Representing an international investor in international arbitration proceedings.
- Representing a financial investor in post-M&A litigation.
- Representing an international community of heirs asserting NS-compensation claims.
- Ongoing representation of a supplier in the automotive sector in commercial matters.
- Ongoing representation of a financial institution.