Dr. Bernd-Wilhelm Schmitz
Dr. Bernd-Wilhelm Schmitz is a recognized expert for complex litigation in commercial law. He has more than 30 years of experience in representing major clients in civil and arbitration proceedings, among which are some of the most important and high-profile proceedings in Germany.
Building on this background he pursues a business-orientated mediation method for efficient out-of-court dispute resolution in cooperation with recognized consultants and leads internal investigations.
Bernd-Wilhelm Schmitz focuses mainly on securities, banking and capital markets law, corporate and insurance matters (D&O), as well as professional liability matters of directors and officers, auditors, accountants and lawyers.
- 2009–present Partner, Schmitz & Partner Rechtsanwälte
- 2004–2009 Partner, Latham & Watkins LLP, Frankfurt am Main
- 1990–2004 Partner, Clifford Chance LLP (formerly Pünder Volhard Weber & Axster), Frankfurt am Main
- 1986–1990 Partner of a renowned law firm specialized in appellate matters, Koblenz
- 1986 Doctorate (Dr. jur.), Universität Gießen
- 1984 Admission to practice law
- 1984 Second State Exam, Koblenz
- 1981 First State Exam, Bonn